Re: [OM] More Changes than the Film

Subject: Re: [OM] More Changes than the Film
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:07:59 -0800
Winsor Crosby wrote:

Isn't it interesting that the members of this list have discussed the merits of one lens over the other for years. We tune into the web sites with tests. We put up old tests on our web sites and we support one of our number to test Oly lenses. Other sites argue the merits of Canon v. Nikon v. Leica v. Contax.

Until very recently, thre were only 2 kinds of lenses for DCs, those permanently attached to DCs and film lenses attached to DSLRs. Lots of performance info, both test and opinion, is available for the film lenses already. dpreview does a lot of lens/sensor/firmware combo testing, including resolution and contrast, that is pretty comprehensive and informative. What more can a tester do with a one-piece system? I certainly read these test carefully as relates to the quality of the lens as revealed through the whole system.

With digital that has all changed. Every one talks about megapixels and sensor size, and by God, no one cares very much what is on the front of the camera, with only a few exceptions. Even if digital is close to or surpasses film you would think there would be some concern about the glass. When did that go away? Or do I just not get it? :-)

I and occasional others on the list have argued that megapixels are way overrated as a measure of ability to create a quality image and I don't keep track of sensor size. The only place where it counts is in the final image. My 2.1mp camera makes beautiful 8x10s. I think a lot of those looking at digital are concerned about the glass. However, because of the nature of the system, it is difficult to evaluate the glass alone, so we have to be realistic and look at system level results. There are a few cases where it is obvious that the same lens is being used by different manufacturers. For example, it is clear that the IS 10x zoom on the 2100uz is the same lense used on the Can*n Pro90.

Moose