[OM] heads and legs

Subject: [OM] heads and legs
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:51:43 -0600
I, too, have the 410 gear head. I use mine on Gitzo 320 legs, and I am VERY
happy with both. The head was about $165 from b&H, and I think the price is
still about that. It is an amazing bargain for a high quality head. I can't
imagine what the larger one is for, as the 410 seems like it would be able
to handle most any 4x5 and some 8x10's.

You should know that gear heads and ball heads are very, very different
things. I much prefer gear heads, as I'm not doing anything that requires
quick movements. That's the big difference between the two. I think that
most people that are using ball heads for landscapes and architecture and
such just haven't tried a gear head. Movements are easy and precise, and the
camera won't fall on its side and crush your hand.

The quick release plate is quite another thing. I have a Perfected Photo
Products QR base and some plates, because it can be used with the built-in
plate on the 'blad. It's easy to use, and inexpensive, and anything that has
a built in plate is a disadvantage to me.

Bill Pearce