[OM] Re: Reviewing the Basics of PL's with OM-4

Subject: [OM] Re: Reviewing the Basics of PL's with OM-4
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:47:32 -0800 (PST)
Piers Hemy asked: Are you proposing to meter without
the polarizer, then adjust?  That would work.

Joel W. said,
on lens, and  3)
adjust exposure compensation dial 1 and 1/3 stops.  I
guess steps 2 and 3
could be reversed.

My answer is "yes", but like so EVERY OM-4 metering
answers, it depends on what your conditions and
assumptions are.

Joel, you said that you "prefer to do multispot
averaging" on the OM-4 so let's start there.

1.  Let's dispense with the phrase "multispot
averaging" first.  You mean you let the 4 "integrate"
several spot readings.  I'm assuming you're not
talking about the averaging (center-weighted) mode at
all.

2.  If you set the camera to "AUTO" mode, and click
the "SPOT" button several times, you are  *recording*
those conditions, and letting the camera integrate
them for you using the fabled "multi-spot" feature.
When you use the multi-spot mode, the camera CANNOT
possibly meter off the film.  The instant you push
that SPOT button you are recording the amount of the
total exposure.

[For newbies: During the exposure, the camera cannot
possibly reproduce the movements you made to record
those settings so instead it *records* those exposures
and integrates them for you.

Multi-spot Auto cannot possibly "re-meter" during
exposure the way an OM-2 does in "AUTO".  On the OM-4
that mode is only in effect when all 3 of these
condtions are met:
a.) AUTO
b.) Without memory and
c.) Without SPOT, which also means without Shadow and
without Hightlight.]

3.  Let's assume:
EI 100 film
a normal scene,
normal full sunshine, &
not at high altitude.

You set the OM4 like this:
"AUTO"
f/16
no filter.

Let's say you RECORD a SPOT reading off a deep shadow
of some trees, then you RECORD a SPOT reading off a
piece of bald, nearly white sky, then you RECORD a
SPOT reading off a neutral grey tone.  The OM4
integrates all of those to 1/125th of a second and the
recording is valid because you made it without showing
the meter the linear polarizer.

Then you put on the filter.

At that momement the "dancing" diamond shifts but it
does not have control.  You already recorded the total
exposure and the only way to bias that is with the
Exposure Compensation Dial, as you noted.  (Or by
throwing another recording into the buffer.)

Before you apply the compenstion, your recorded
exposure is 1/125th.  I think of this as "my
instructed exposure".  The "dancing diamond" will be
suggesting about 1/50th.  When you dial in +1 and 1/2
stops of compensation (PLUS+++), the recorded exposure
(1/125th) is biased to a longer exposure of about
1/50th.

At this point, your "instructed and compsensated"
exposure is correct at 1/50 @ f/16 with a polarizer.
Notice that if you hit "Clear" at this point, the
camera will listen to the dancing diamond AND the
compensation dial and they aren't nearly as smart as
you are under these conditions!

****

All of this seems kinda convoluted to me.  Me?  I'd
put that puppy in Manual, take my readings, apply the
additional exposure, put on the filter and go.

Why?  Without using MEMORY, the camera will revert to
center-weighted average (but with the exposure comp!)
a second exposure will be dead wrong!

If I decide to try an additional composition, or a
supermodel walks by, or an airliner crashes, I have
the perfect MANUAL exposure all set and I just click
away freely.

I don't have to decide BEFORE THE FIRST EXPOSURE if I
intend to hold the setting for a second exposure.

Remember, all of your "teaching" is lost after the
exposure if didn't rock over to MEMORY before the
first exposure.

Besides that, if you want to change lenses and you're
in Manual, you simply observe the aperture as you
dismount the lens, move the filter to the new lens,
set the new aperture exactly the same and all is right
with your world.

In that nasty MEMORY-MULTISPOT-AUTO-TRAP mode, when
you change lenses,
a. your "instructed exposure" is lost,
b. you revert to center-weighted AUTO but
c. the Comp dial is shoving you into overexposure and
d. the linear polarizer is forcing you into unreliable
results.  Who wants that?

Lama

Did anyone actually read all of this?