[OM] Sampling rates

Subject: [OM] Sampling rates
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:22:53 -0800 (PST)
Let's face it.  There is nothing as bad as a liberal sampling
rate and a Nyquist driving a Corvette to get the underpaid
teachers in a theorom.

When it comes to audio sampling, anti-aliasing filters and audio
compression, I'll beg off from taking anybody on who is
"scientifically superior" to me.  I may not know the high-brow
science lingo, but I sure know the application.

How much of my digital audio background is applicable to
imaging?  Not much.  Why?  Because Nyquist is not being applied
to imaging in the same manner as it is applied to audio.  With
audio it was determined that you needed two samples to define a
waveform.  Partially true.  You only need one sample to define a
"voltage" at that moment in time.  It's through multiple samples
that you get an application of the voltage readings.

With imaging, it isn't necessary to have the 2:1 sampling to
define an object.  Each pixel stands alone in its ability to
define a quality and quantity of light striking it.
Anti-aliasing filters of various forms must be used to
counteract heterodyning and other oddball things that will kick
in with a 1:1 sampling.

I totally disagree with the assessment that a slightly "off"
lens yields better digital pictures.  If that was true, you
would get a far better image when resizing a digital file if the
original is blurry.

AG-Schnozz