[OM] Re: "Americanism," the American way and this list

Subject: [OM] Re: "Americanism," the American way and this list
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:56:44 -0800

Thank you. That's Americanism at its best and truest. Sad to note this sort of rebuttal is necessary on a list of this kind, where one might expect members to possess some degree of erudition.

For what it's worth, I've served, too (U.S. Army).

What gets me in this particular instance is that 1) we have those around us (as always, seemingly) who would gladly silence others in disagreement with them and then call _that_ Americanism, 2) as often as not these same censors are uncareful and/or uneducated and/or unintelligent and/or in sufficient denial enough to confuse the basic meaning of one post to the next.

In point of fact my reply wanted to s-u-p-p-o-r-t our president by way of a compliment to the original poster who, as far as I could tell, was gently trying to nudge Doro to accept an inevitable situation which he happened to view as a good deal down the road in principle. I found this response to be well-worded, well-conceived and altruistic as far as these "American" things go, and said so.

The other night (Friday) I found myself abused by a half-brained liberal in the back seat of my taxi merely for using the word "liberal" in passing to a passenger seated next to me--abused to the extent that I took off after four hours (and immediately upon dropping these four people) and let another taxi driver manhandle my cab and medallion through this sea of silliness called San Francisco. Now I gave much better than I received, as always when it comes to these people, not for the reason I'm especially sharp but that they're so hopelessly dull. This is not a whine or a complaint, really. But I've come to find repugnant this routine where an unthinking person of so-called liberal persuasion tries to shout down or otherwise silence or gag anyone who has the temerity to voice a view opposed to his own.

But now this: a person with presumably more "conservative" views trying the same tactic with his reverse counterpart, only the trump turns out to be that the person muffled this time isn't liberal at all but rather more conservative (actually, centrist on balance) in his views and in any case apparently perfectly in step with his attacker's political position (though not agenda ), and all because . . . what? The attacker/censor this time hasn't even the wit to understand what's being written in the first place, and is in any event mean and selfish enough to try and impose his will by suffocating the will and expression of thought by others who might be in disagreement with his own point of view.

Genius!

This country is hurting big time, my friends. I don't know exactly what happened along the way, but somehow we've arrived at a state where the simplest ideals of our founding fathers have gone bankrupt.

Anyway, thanks to John and Julie for taking the high road. Whatever your political views are, I'll proudly walk with you any time.

Just to make it crystal clear for the next bozo who comes to me with this sort of BS:

1. I stand against war in general for the reason I have found it to be a mainly futile expression of political concern, futile means to political purpose and end

2. I nevertheless recognize that sometimes war is inevitable, and when this obtains
        it is best to fight with all you have as quickly as possible

With re to Iraq and those who cannot bring themselves to bear the thought of imposing our hateful American special-interest will on its current loveable (and loving) regime: shame on anyone not clever enough to see not only the wisdom but the acute necessity of the United States acting as our government now suggests. If you want to know, I pity anyone that dense and I despise anyone so bereft of the need and humanitarian goodwill to help others who suffer greatly (i.e., the greater Iraqi population of various peoples) under indescribably cruel government. Maybe it's arrogant to suppose America could and would do better for them, but if it is it is the arrogance inherent in God's own truth.

That's all.

Now please, I'm with Thomas and wish to get back to stuff about Oly and photography.

Tris

George,
 Are we getting to be so wimpy a country that we can not take criticism.
I would like to think we are strong enough that we would examine the
statement, and leave it lie to bite the original sender if we think it
to not be true. Believe it or not, there are many Americans-true blue
Americans-who do not believe in this war. And, they are true Americans,
they are the differing opinions that make this country the great country
that it is. They have been to war, and not been to war, they are the
well informed, and the ignorant. They are Democrat, Republicans, and all
the different political parties that encompass our one damn beautiful
country. And the only thing that will make this country less than what
it is, and head it down the path to mediocrity is to silence them!
John
I spent 12+ years in our nations miltary protecting the right to say
those words.