Re: [OM] Re: "Americanism," the American way and this list OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: "Americanism," the American way and this list OT
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:04:19 -0800

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 12:50  PM, Tris Schuler wrote:

In a way I agree with your position, Rob. Then again, what's wrong with doing what we can in the real world to affect what good change (on balance) we might?

The last time we "did what we could" in the region the civilian casualties were lined up in mass graves and covered over by bulldozers. For the most part, I imagine they'd rather have been alive than "free." ;-)

Comparing America's "expansionistic" policies to those of Hitler, Mao and Stalin is not only somewhat distasteful but ignorant of history insofar as Mao led a state which has existed from time immemorial not as an expansionistic nation state but rather isolationist with regard to its world views and actions.

Actually, Mao's program of "humanitarian aid" to North Korea was what I had in mind.

Consider: a better person to cite in your given case than Mao might have been, say, Napoleon.

Sure, Napoleon was certainly of a more expansionist nature than Mao, but he didn't seem to have the same disregard for civilian human life that our administration does. We've been so impressed by the way the Turkish forces have been able to "pacify" and eliminate their Kurdish population that we hired several of the men in charge of that program as advisors in Afghanistan and now we're preparing to use their services again in Iraq. You can bet there will be more atrocities that take years to come to light that take place during this "humanitarian aid" mission, but that's how the U.S. works anymore. We roll into urban areas like Panama City and we kill everything that moves and make sure the people back home don't see any footage of the dead women and children until the whole ordeal is well in the past.

-Rob (back to lurking)