Re: [OM] OM-4 memo on auto mode

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 memo on auto mode
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:44:43 -0800

This is the thing that tripped my incorrect speculation. From a user interface point of view, this is about as inconsistent as you can get with the rest of the camera :-) Then again, I don't see how they have a choice. I guess once they made "auto" to really mean OTF, then it makes sense when you think about it...

The design makes perfect sense to me. The meter automatically reads individual scenes with a center-weighted average result _unless_ the photographer programs the camera to do otherwise. As the first method most always is what the average photographer will rely on in auto mode it stands to reason the design would conform to this usage.

Me, I use the spot function a lot, taking various readings depending on the scene and what exposure I want. I'll save that information occasionally, usually do it all over again for the next frame (will if I've the time).

Given time and the ability to do so I'll once in awhile use my Gossen to measure the source of incident light, then go back and compare that reading with my 4T (either through spot and/or center-weighted readings). The exposure suggestions are often (quite often) within a hair's breath of each other.

Conclusion: the 4T's metering is dead-on accurate. (Not surprising as the Gossen has a couple of spot functions which function identically to the 4T's and those always come out the same.)

Tris