[OM] [OT] DC un-education (was: Shutterbug "discovery")

Subject: [OM] [OT] DC un-education (was: Shutterbug "discovery")
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:17:10 +1100
> Wayne Harridge [mailto:wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> You should check the questions asked in some of the fora (?)
> on photo.net, I think the "un-education" process is well
> down the track already.

I'm on a few of Yahoo and MSN forums for the Olympus c5050z
digital camera. With all due respect to them for their interest
in gaining knowledge, and the difficulty I perceive some
have gaining that traditional knowledge that seems to
be more easily obtainable (or perhaps perception of "relevant")
following a film-SLR path...

...some of them couldn't find their aperture with a ringflash...

...which is a shame (but a recoverable one) as most on the
forums certainly *do* have the interest.

Hypothesis: DoF effects can be less obvious in a DC, and
camera-shake not obvious enough in the preview for them to
notice, or even obvious while they use the DC purely to
send 640x480 snaps to rel's by email. The methods of rectification
of some problems are easily performed by them on the PC that might
otherwise make you be more sure of correct exposure or even,
to a degree, sharpness when using film. The premise is, take
the photo, looks good, put it on the computer, lighten it
up or "sharpen" it, print or send it. The perception that
this might be "all there is to it", and that this often *is*
for their purposes, and that digital cameras work different
to film cameras in their concept, all of which might tend
to not make one look at a "photography course" or "basic
principles of photography" as being relevent.

I think it's a symptom of newness though. Folk seem to have
more understanding than they use to about PC's and how they
work and how the different technologies work (I'm not saying that
there aren't the urban-legendary CD-drive-as-cupholder people,
but that, to me as the one usually asked for help by friends
in regards to PC matters, there are less such people, and less
"silly" questions). I think with DC's, the un-education trend
will eventually reverse.

...or perhaps I'm just a blind optimist :-)

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz