RE: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come

Subject: RE: [OM] Stock up on film, the shortage will come
From: "Bob Fenstermacher" <bobfenstermacher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:12:10 -0700

-
> For those of you who think that film will give way to digital in the
> forseeable future,

I thought I'd add my 2 cents in to this worrysome possibility.

One of the biggest factors in a successfull business is having a product
that is used up by the comsumers and is constantly in need of replacing.
For example, food, drugs, medicine, supplements, fuel and gasoline, glasses
and contacts, soft drinks,  etc, etc, etc.

The very idea of planned obsolesence was based on the need for products to
be resold to consumers -can't make money on a product that lasts forever.

Well, except for advances in technology like digital will encompass, people
do not need to buy a new digital camera every year or every five years...no
need to buy more digital space from a camera manufacturer, just buy another
disk and download the images you like and stick em in a box to be inserted
in your computer whenever.

On the other hand, our major film manufacturers have a perfect product. It's
used up almost immediately and voila, you buy more film.

It seems to me, that those manufacturers should have a vested interest in
keeping film camera manufacturers in business.

Perhaps they need to make this connection and keep their profit centers
(film) alive.

Bob Fenstermacher