[OM] Re: New Oly Stylus Digital...

Subject: [OM] Re: New Oly Stylus Digital...
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:37:39 -0800
I've been so busy the last couple of weeks I haven't had time to keep up to date on the list, so I don't know if someone posted about this or not,but here goes.

Played with the new Oly Stylus Digital the other day at Keeble and Schuchat in Palo Alto.

First impressions are very favorable. It's very small, about the size of a pack of cigarettes, roughly the size of the C50Z, but thinner. All metal body that appears very well made with a sliding clamshell cover to boot up/down. A rather tight viewfinder and a little too small back LCD screen. But, overall, it appears to be a very nice little 3 megapixel camera. The shutter lag and time to lock autofocus were typically Oly, that is, rather slow...my recently acquired (and very nice) Powershot S45 smokes it in this regard, particularly with respect to shutter lag. I saw a number of 4X6 prints taken with the little Stylus and they looked beautiful. Color and sharpness were very good. I expect this camera will make lovely 8X10" prints easily. At $399, it's a fair but not great value. One down side is the camera, if I heard the salesman correctly, is that it is full auto only. I recently bought the S45 from Calumet in S.F., CA for $469, and it is a 4 megapixel camera that uses CF media, shoots in RAW mode as well as JPEG, and has a very fast shutter release once focus locks (which is also faster than most P&S Oly's except perhaps the C50Z), as well as offering much more photographic control than the Stylus. I consider the C*n*n to be the better value at these fairly close price points, but the Oly is smaller, so if marque/size/price point are a concern, I'd say check it out. I have to admit I was quite interested in the Stylus, but the fact the S45 used CF media, the same as "Darth Vader", I decided on the S45. Having to deal with two different media formats is just too much of a hassle.But the Stylus is very nice, and I expect Oly will sell a ton of them.

-Stephen Scharf
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!