Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA

Subject: Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:25:26 -0600
At 09:58 AM 3/19/2003 +0100, you wrote:

Hi,

I'm Peter Leyssens and I just re-re-resubcribed to this Olympus mailing list.

Hi Peter,
I remember you!

135/f2.8 + 2xA teleconvertor: Gives me 2 focal lengths, going up to 270mm. The 2xA is officially compatible with this lens. Gary Reese's lens tests tell me the 135/2.8 MC is quite a good lens, and I liked the shots on John Lind's homepage. I haven't seen any shot with the 2xA and this lens, but Gary's site tells me the results will probably not be spectacular, probably about the same as my 75-150.

So here's a string of questions:

1) Any experience with the 135/f2.8 ?  Is my impression about right ?

I think that combination is at least as good as the 85-250/5, a lens I've used as much as any Zuiko I have. I've found that the 2X-A works well with both the 100/2.8 and 135/2.8, provided one doesn't stop down too much. F8 (effective f16) is about the limit. Beyond that contrast suffers. Also, the 135 + 2X-A is a decent package to tote around in most bags. If I really lived in that range, I'd probably be more critical, but I rarely shoot longer than 200mm. I carry the 2X-A mainly for the 100/2.8 when I'm hiking somewhere to shoot. My Orion hip pack can just handle the 35-105 or 35-80, 24, 100, 135 and 2X-A., which allows me some strength left to carry a Bogen 3221.

Sorry, I don't have any images webbed out with this combination. As for Gary's tests, which set are you looking at? The second set with the OM-4T suggests the combination is quite good ("B" range) when care is taken to minimize auto aperture stopdown effects.

The 135/2.8 on its own is very nice too.  Welcome back.

Joel W.