Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA

Subject: Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:26:44 -0800
Peter,

As I've said before the 135/3.5 has been my travel lens of choice and I
sometimes carry a 2x, lately that's been a Vivitar 2x macro. The 2x-A is
fine but not as versatile. The 135/3.5 also uses 49mm filters and is
very small and very cheap. The small size of the OM system is what
attracted me to it in the first place. I recently acquired a 135/2.8
which is in the bag for daily use and i like it fine and it probably
gives better results than the 3.5 version but is heavier and takes 55mm
filters. If you take the 90 then you'll be packing both filter sizes
anyway since the 28/2.8 uses 49mm.

IMO the real world use of the lens overshadows the lens test data so
pick the lens you take based on your shooting style. You'll be more
likely to actually use it. All the Zuikos are fine performers.  I don't
mind taking out the 135/3.5 in conditions I never would use a 90/2 (even
if I could afford one :>) This is especially true on trains or ferries.
Trains in my experience are a thieves paradise. I would also put the
28/3.5, 35/2.8 and the 75~150 in the "disposable" category for travel.
The 75~150 doesn't suit my style however and I've been using a 35~105
more and more. Doesn't fit the "disposable" category though at my income
level.

As far as a tripod on a train or ferry... fergitaboutit. As a frequent
ferry commuter (last two days)  I recommend standing with knees slightly
bent to help absorb the vibrations. Fast shutter speeds of course.
Resist the temptation to rest the camera against any part of the vessel
or train, better to use a companion.

mike