Re: [OM] Newbie question: Flash and "Book B" of OM4T instructions

Subject: Re: [OM] Newbie question: Flash and "Book B" of OM4T instructions
From: lamadoo@xxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:06:24 -0500
Cc: <srosenblum@xxxxxxx>
Welcome to the list, Stephen.

About your questions, I am at work so someone else will have to tell you
exactly what's in the OM-4T "B" book.  I'm thinking it's subtitled "For Your
Creative Photography" and it attempted, very unsucessfully, to address these
advanced topics:

Manual mode Single-spot metering
Manual mode Multi-spot metering
Manual mode- Spot/Highlight (you can't have Highlight until you use Spot 1st)
Manual mode- Spot/Shadow (you can't have Shadow until you use Spot 1st)

Center-weighted Auto/OTF (excludes Spot, Spot/Shadow, Spot/Highlight, and of
course, all multi-spot features)

Auto mode Single-spot metering (not OTF, what I call 'taught Auto')
Auto mode Multi-spot metering (not OTF, what I call 'taught Auto')

Spot/Highlight (you can't have Highlight until you use Spot 1st)
Spot/Shadow (you can't have Shadow until you use Spot 1st)

My advice is to buy the Shipman books first so you learn it *right* the first
time.  If you want to indulge the "collector" in you, then you'll want the "B"
manual too but the photographer side needs *real* information about the
overly-complicated options that seem to confuse almost every owner on this list
(except Moose and John Lind?)  The Shipman book has different editions so
you'll want to get a later one since you (apparently) own the OM-4T.  My editon
of Shipman covers through the OM-4 which is fine 'cause that's the only 4 I
have.  :)  If you read up on the OM-PC in the Shipman book, you'll see why I
think it's a cool second body to have.  It's also cheap as coal in Newcastle,
UK.

Now, about flashes.  The Olympus T32 is fully compatible with your idea of
using a Lumiquest type bounce reflector.  It may not look like it, but it can
be rotated 90 degrees up at the ceiling (assuming you've mounted it in the
OM-4T fixed (!) hot shoe and you're using the camera for a horizontal shot.)
It also can be tilted down for closeup work.  It is capable of giving you TTL
exposure with your OM4T.  You can take the T32 off the camera and use the
superior Olympus TTL cords, maintaining the TTL ability too.

Like I said, "Welcome".

Lama