RE: RE: [OM] Photos of Turkey

Subject: RE: RE: [OM] Photos of Turkey
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:15:42 +1100
An English made six cylinder Ford Zephyr. We hit a truck head on. I was a
passenger in the left hand front seat (not a good position in a right hand
drive country) when the driver of the oncoming truck decided to go to sleep
on a bend and drifted across the road into our path. I ended up cracking the
windscreen but with little injury apart from some glass in the eye.
Fortunately the owner of the car was a doctor and she did that trick of
turning the eye inside out to dig out the glass. The car was towed the
remaining forty miles into Salonika by a friendly tractor where it was (sort
of) repaired by local mechanics (no, not experienced panel beaters) who
straightened it out with carpenter's hammers and a paint brush and installed
a four cylinder Ford Consul radiator. We spent the five weeks waiting for
the 'repairs' to finish in the town's Youth Hostel at night and on Adriatic
beaches guzzling retsina during days. Then we drove back to London via a
number of countries boiling all the way!

John.