[OM] digi-movies

Subject: [OM] digi-movies
From: "Bill Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:54:05 -0600
>I do beleive there will be a conversion in the 'West', but what about the
>movies theatres in the third world.  They won't change anytime soon.
It is possible that there will be more resistance there, but equally
possible less. A friend visited China, and said that the amount of cell
phones was remarkable. They simply bypassed the bulk of the wired phone
business. since the "third world" has less installed equipment, the
conversion may be easier.

>I do understand the film is different, but my point is that film, in one
>format or another, will be here for a long, long time.
Absolutely agreed. I just think it is possible that in this one narrow area,
the conversion at the output end may come faster than in some other parts of
the film world.

>That said, some areas are converting fast. My wife's last endoscopy, all
the
>images were digital and immediately printing on what looked like a small
dye
>sub printer.  They don't need film anymore.
I have a radiologist friend that has opened a digital mamography office
here. He showed me two films of the same breast, with a slightly indistinct
mass. Now I don't know much about breast lumps, but I do know about b&w
negs. The difference is amazing. On the old, film based system, everything
was indistinct. On the digital, everythink was crisp and clear. Your cat
could have seen that further examination was warranted. For those of you
that are female, or have one in your life, demand this advance.

>I'm not sure I really do either :)
>
>I have to admit a very, very high percentage of my images are digital
>anymore.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

>Wasn't episode 2 done completely in digital and the 'printed' to film?  I
>know that in the movie theatre I saw it in, the projection equipment was
all
>digital and there was a blurb at the beginning that it was shot in digital.
There are digital theatres, and one of the star treks was indeed done in all
digital, so you are probably right. Treckies, chime in...

>Honestly, though, I couldn't tell any difference.
>Is that good or bad?
>
>Tom

That, I think, would be a really bad review of either the filming,
projection, or your optometrist!

Bill Pearce