Re: [OM] MORE 2nd Annual Great Road Trip

Subject: Re: [OM] MORE 2nd Annual Great Road Trip
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:40:43 -0800

Some good captures there, John. One of who appears to be lead Brian Benson, then another of the bald-headed drummer (I assume that's another group), then a couple of the lady singers--who do these people sing with? This was a concert with more than one band performing, yes?

I haven't bothered with the faster B&W films after my trial-and-error period (and disappointment) with Kodak's T-MAX p3200. From what I can see off the Ilford sheet, Delta 3200 works about the same as its Kodak counterpart, nominally rated at 1000, with apparently greater contrast. (One never knows anymore with web displays.)

What I don't understand is where the benefit lies in using these other "faster" emulsions when it's quite possible to push Tri-X a couple of stops with very good results--_was_ possible with the older emulsion, have no idea what the results might be with this new stuff. And assuming one doesn't mind the Tri-X grain--which seems to have mainly disappeared these days. <g>

First question: how was this concert lighted?

My concert experience: at your run-of-the-mill dimly-lit affair (a more-or-less standard bank of red, green. blue and amber to either side of the stage, or similar lighting setup) I can usually shoot Tri-X at f/2.8 or f/2 with a shutter speed of 1/60 (give or take) with Tri-X rated at 400, normal development; with the same film and ASA rating I can shoot with a shutter speed of 1/125 (I've topped out at 1/250 at f/5--this was at a Jackson Browne concert 25 years ago) when the lights are stronger still--I'm not talking white spots, only colored lights.

Problem: you're shooting here at 1/30-1/60 with your aperture opened at 2.8/4 using a film rated over a stop faster than Tri-X (rated in-camera 2 stops faster) _and_ you're pushing its development another full stop on top of that.

I don't understand the discrepancy in exposure values, can see no actual benefit in using these supposedly faster emulsions (Tri-X appears to bring out somewhat better shadow detail (contrast takes its toll there), appears to render superior resolution after all is said and done).

Second question: what do I miss?

Anyway, you've some good pix in the lot, one of which appears to be lead Brian Benson, then another of a bald-headed drummer (I assume that's another group), then a couple of the lady singers--who do these people sing with?

I take it you're into the blues. I used to love these kinds of concerts outdoors in the summer (Wisconsin). Got tired of the blues in those small joints I habitually found myself in when the snow fell deep outside, though--my ears began to water.

Tris

BUT WAIT!!!!  THERE'S MORE:
You also get, without any additional obligation (except bandwidth consumption), a completely NEW "Singing the Blues" gallery of 16 B&W photographs:
  http://johnlind.tripod.com/blues/
Shot these last October using Ilford Delta 3200 @ EI 1600 with Push 1 developing. Used an OM-2S and the 85mm f/2 lens for all of them. Aperture varied between f/2.8 and f/4 to keep shutter speed between 1/30th and 1/60th.

As before, some are better than others. If you already looked at the first gallery page from the road trip, I added two more photogaphs at the bottom.

Enjoy!
-- John