Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA

Subject: Re: [OM] 135mm/2.8+2xA
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:06:28 +0100
Hi,

Thanks for all your answers, I feel I'm getting somewhere.  Here's a loooong
answer that addresses a couple of issues.

These ones are out:
- zooms: I don't like'em :-(
- Zuiko 180/2.8: too many people report bad performance.
- Zuiko 200/4 and /5:  slow, and some people report bad performance.
- buying 2 lenses: I want to travel light.  Except if this works:
- 180/2.0 and porters: nice idea.  I'll apply for funding with the government.
("It's because I really want to do this trip !  You don't want no unhappy
voters, right ?")

135/2.8:
- I get the impression the 135/2.8 is generally well-respected.  On several
pictures I've seen, I liked the out-of-focus parts.
- Skip, the links you mailed were really convincing, though it's at least
partly because you've done such a good job.  Very nice site !
- I've ordered a 135/2.8 a few days ago on WideAngle's web site, though I
haven't heard from them yet.  It's an MC, but it's rated a 7, so I really want
to hold it before handing over the cash :-)  I'll mail them and ask for some
pictures of the lens.  I've dealt with them before, and I know they're quite
flexible.

TC:
- First time I hear about the Vivitar TC.  What is it like ?  Does it offer a
close focus on the TC ?  Does it add 2 stops like the Zuiko ?  Web sites with
info ?  Compared to the Zuiko, is it better+cheaper+more versatile and will it
make my hair shine and make me get some chicks ?
- How expensive is a Zuiko 2xA ?  I've seen one on a Dutch 2nd-hand photo web
site for 800 euro, which seems utterly outrageous.  Other prices on that site
were too high, too.

BTW, where are the pictures that show the evolution of a Zuikoholic ?  I only
find the one that's the TOPE entry...  This was definitely some of the best
Zuiko humour ever !

Peter.