RE: [OM] Russian Tilt/Shift Lenses?

Subject: RE: [OM] Russian Tilt/Shift Lenses?
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:40:15 -0000
Bill

Experience, yes, only a little so far, though it's a Ukrainian lens - an
Arsat 35/2.8 which is labelled as a B.I.G. which I beleive is an own-brand
for a large German retailer - search on www.fotobrenner.de for "B.I.G.Shift
& Tilt Objektiv 2,8/35mm f. Olympus" their price is roughly USD550 - I paid
about half that from a seller in Kyiv. I am pretty sure the seller is an
agent for the guy who formerly traded through/with Hartblei in Prague,
primarily re-working MF kit from Kyiv.

Know of a review, yes, but it's in Russian.  I can send you the text in
translation if you are interested - there are some lpm figures, though you
might have concerns about consistency of results.

What is it? A 6x6 lens with a custom engineered T&S mount which rotates 360
degrees (click stops every 30 degrees). Manual diaphragm. If you have used
any Russian equipment, you know what to expect - it ain't pretty, would
probably resist a neutron bomb, but it works.  And there is nothing to touch
it for the price.

Had some minor 'issues' which are relatively easily sorted, principally the
fixed lever which tells the diaphragm sensor the maximum aperture - it is
set at the f/2.8 position, but as a manual diaphragm lens it should be set
at the f/2 position, best I can judge (yes, even though it's a f/2.8 lens)
so the viewfinder display is 1 stop adrift.

I am happy with the lens for what I paid - I originally envisaged using it
for architectural work, but am discovering the wild DoF games you can play
with a tilt lens.  Also happy with the responsiveness of the seller.

What more can I tell you?

Piers