Re: [OM] New Tri-X emulsion (image from John Stewart concert)

Subject: Re: [OM] New Tri-X emulsion (image from John Stewart concert)
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 15:51:37 -0800

Yes, it has a slightly green cast to it.

My purpose was to demonstrate to the person in question over on FM's site that this image certainly didn't need more contrast, if anything less. I gave it that little bit of punch tint-wise just to jazz it up. Almost any color would do--toward yellow would work, for example, or blue, and of course the tobacco/sepia example you sent to me privately is the classic look.

There's a kind of lesson to be learned from this: an image that isn't a good image when presented in B&W wasn't conceived properly. Of course, someone will argue the inevitable exception, as there must be, but as a general rule this holds true.

The inverse of this rule seems to be (within my experience is, and it only stands to reason) that well-conceived B&W photography accepts color effortlessly. Why? It already possesses attractive light and form.

Lesson: shoot B&W at least periodically to keep your photographic senses straight.

Tris

I do like the image better in general in the revised form. At least on my screen, it has a defininte green cast to the highlights (maybe the shadows too, but I am slightly red-green colorblind an can miss subtle differences in those colors in shadows). I find it looks better to me with the green balanced out.

Moose

Tris Schuler wrote:

Meanwhile, I've posted this image to the same thread. With the shadows opened up and the use of tint this picture assumes a different character. I occasionally fool around with B&W tints as the effect can be pleasing if not overdone. I don't know if it works in this instance or not, but it certainly changes the mood.

http://home.mindspring.com/~tristanjohn/archivedphotos/Delottswife-shadowsTri-Xcolored.jpg