[OM] Cool & inexpensive photo tool for nature & wildlife photographers

Subject: [OM] Cool & inexpensive photo tool for nature & wildlife photographers
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:34:21 EST
Yesterday was spent taking pictures of the many colors of spring exhibited by
the Texas landscapes which become alive with wildflowers this time of year.
A had the opportunity to use the new 90mm f2 Zuiko to capture some close-ups
of lizards, wildflowers and several pair of mating lady bugs (guess one of
the pair must have been a man bug).  Nonetheless, I had a wonderful day doing
what I enjoy.  The only thing that dampened the experience was a rain shower
that struck about the time I was lying on my belly in a patch of bluebonnets.
 I threw a towel over the camera, sucked it up, kept shooting and got wet.
Two members of our group of ten didn't experience the same discomfort the
rest of us experienced, they were Laszlo Perlaky and Dr. Humberto Lara.  Both
of them were using a neat little devise Laszlo had developed to keep himself
and his camera gear dry.  Laszlo is a research scientist in the Oncology
Department of Baylor College of Medicine, dang good nature and wildlife
photographer and tinkerer with things mechanical.  What he has developed is a
clamping devise that clamps on to the leg of your tripod, has a flexible
shaft into which you attach the umbrella which is supplied with his kit.
Keeps you and your gear dry.  Neat deal.  You can contact him to inquire
about his kit at lperlaky@xxxxxxxxxxx or visit his website to see some of the
work he has done with birds at naturalperl.com.   Bill Barber