[OM] Macro Sunday

Subject: [OM] Macro Sunday
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:06:53 -0800
April has had bronchitis that's kept her home the past few days. I had actually hoped to make the OM meet in Berkeley today, but I decided to spend the day taking care of April instead. Anyway, after I made lunch today I mowed the yard for the first time this spring. There's a park bench in the middle of our yard and when I moved it to mow I overturned an abalone shell that had been resting on it to find three large snails. Seeing a prime opportunity to try out my new 90mm f2 I ran inside and grabbed my camera bag. What a cool experience. The DOF at minimum focusing distance was so minimal that if I had the head of a snail in focus, its shell was a blur. The bench and the abalone shell were a soft blur in the background. I don't think I've ever done any kind of composition with that little DOF in the viewfinder. I hit the preview a couple of times to get an idea what I was actually getting. I shot about a dozen shots of HP5 of those snails. I look forward to seeing how they turn out. I'll probably polish off the roll and develop it tomorrow.

-Rob