Re: [OM] Framing and matting supplies

Subject: Re: [OM] Framing and matting supplies
From: Pandionhalietius@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 00:23:29 EST
I worked in the field of "Professional" matting, cutting/framing , etc., for
2 years+ and learned much.  Cutting mat boards is not that easy and takes
some skill and training to get good results.  Oval cutters are easier to get
consistent results.  Good equipment makes life easier (doesn't it always)?
Conservation grade material is much more expensive and you do not want to
make too may mistakes with that stuff.  The costs will add up.
That said, the markup for all work is staggering.  When it comes to framing
pictures, stick with standard size frames and mat the piece to fit the frame.
 Having matching top and side equal balance is not necessary.  The eye
balances things.
I would find a nice neutral color board for a majority of your work and buy
in bulk and get a decent cutter and go at it.  If not, the only work I would
ever pay for is the actual mat cut.  Don't pay for the frame that has to meet
a certain off-size.

Have fun and enjoy!
John