Re: [OM] Sticky lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Sticky lenses
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 23:10:48 -0800
on 3/23/03 11:30 AM, M. Sparks at mms@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, I got my courage up to fix a 50/1.8 with a sticky diaphrgam. (Thanks
> Bill Barber) After removing the mount, I found the problem is not the
> aperture blades, but the connecting black ring/cam jig under the mount.
> Either they are getting pinched somehow, or else the light oil has gummed
> up.  There are some steps machined into the rear of the mount to contain
> the rings, so I think I'll have to clean that out too, as well as the
> edges of the moving rings.
>
> Is this oil supposed to be here?  And after cleaning things up, what
> should I replace it with?  Any other hints . . ?
>
> Morgan

Clean it out with Q-tips and 91 0sopropanol alcohol (found at any
drugstore). Then reinstall with no lubricant of any sort, the linkages are
made to run dry. If the actual aperture blades are oil-free, check to see if
there is migration from the focus helical threads into the non-threaded
areas of the lens interior. Some fresh Q-tip/alcohol in there wipes that
out, possibly a preventative for future problems. The only place you -want-
grease inside an SLR lens is in the focus helical... and possibly a bit
under the aperture ring in the click-stop area to dampen the movement of the
aperture ring a bit. I apply a silicone high-vacuum grease using a toothpick
tip, and not a lot of grease on that tip.

"A little dab'l do ya."
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...