Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200/2.8 versions

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 80-200/2.8 versions
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:09:09 -0800
Well, I've never heard of different versions.

As to whether it a sharper lens than a Vivitar S1 70-210, the answer is an unequivocal yes.

As to how much sharper, that depends first on which version of the Vivitar you have. There are 3 versions, detailed here <http://medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html#vivitar>. The third, and supposedly best of them is also tested on Gary's lens test site site <http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>, where you can compare it to the Tamron and see that is is a significantly better performer.

How much sharper depends second on the individual lens you have. If it is obviously not sharp in ordinary shots, you likely have either a damaged/out of adjustment lens or there is something wrong with your camera, mirror out of adjustment, focusing screen out of place, dioptric adjustment off, etc. I used to use the first version on a Nik*n way back and it was certainly a reasonably sharp lens. Do you get sharp results with other lenses on the same camera? Herb Kepler did a comparison of the Vivitar to a current 70-210 lens a few months ago in Pop Photo which is/was on the web somewhere too, and again, it is a conmpetive lens.

How much sharper depends third on technique. If you are mostly having trouble at longer focal lengths, consider that you are possibly not using adequate shutter speeds and/or camera support. If you are using a tripod, consider the many comparisons in Gary's tests between alternatives of camera/lens support, mirror lockup, mirror and aperture prefire, etc. These turn out to be very significant factors with some camera/lens combos. Also consider Olympus' advice on shooting telephoto shots on their cameras: "When using a tripod, hold the camera steady with both hands and press the shutter release with the ball of finger, not with the cable release." This effectively uses the highly complex wetware of the human body as a multiple mode vibration damping device.

In summary, the Tamron 80-200/2.8 is a significantly better lens than the Vivitar S1 70-210 (as are some other newer lenses, including the Tokina 80-200/2.8), but you should be easily able to make images that are sharp beyond 8x10 with a properly operating Vivitar and proper technique.

Moose

Bob Fenstermacher wrote:

Give a relative newbie a break, are there two versions of this thing or am I
mistaken?

I've been using a Vivitar S1 70-210 and wondering why my shots are soft for all
this time, so any  improvement will be an improvement.

Now that I look kind of stupid, does anyone want to part with this obviously
heavy, large, ungainly, unsharp lens...??