Thanks Guys.....Re: [OM] A Bay Area Zuikoholics meeting

Subject: Thanks Guys.....Re: [OM] A Bay Area Zuikoholics meeting
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 05:46:19 +0100
Cc: olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Zuiks,

Just returned from my second Z.A. meeting, this time in San
Francisco. In a summary, it was great :)

After finding the park in 10 min, I spent 30 min finding the meeting
spot - making me only 20 min late (I did not see moose's instructions
before now - not having ambient internet connectivity suxx). However
searching for the meeting spot was not wasted: I got to drive around
in the beautiful Berkeley/Tilden area, which truely is a nice area.
Moose, Mike, Jim I am jealous :)

Arriving, it was easy to spot fellow zuik's on the parking-place,
where we chatted for a while before Mike Butler sponsored a small
steam-train ride (great fun) and we went for a nice lunch with lots
of chatting about all things Olympus and all things not-olympus.

Mike also introduced me to the first is-series camera I've ever
touched, which convinced me that "bulky" is not the correct verb -
ergonomic is. He also brought his young daughter (say hi) - the
rest of us brought only our respective "inner childs", which somehow
I think Mike's daughter found to be less interresting playmates :)

Moose sported a fancy car, cool californian looks, an OM4 with a nice
tele-zoom. He brought some photos from California, convincing me that
(i) he as skilled a photographer as he is a nice person, (ii) that
there is so much more landscape and nature in this state that I
havent seen, so I have to come back.

Jim Brokaw brought an impressive battery of wide-angles and other
Olympus stuff - as well as some stuff he had been kind enough to
proxy for me. He also brought an exhaustive (but inexhaustible)
knowledge about various odds and ends of the OM system.

I brought an OM1, with a battery that ran out in the middle of the
train-ride. Anyone else tried to change the battery in an OM1 on a
mini-steam-train? Not easy....:)

Discussing Olympus (and other camera) equipment, the kits of Jim and
Moose both made me feel very very normal - or in the zuikoholic way:
that there is a lot of gear that I need to acquire to keep up with
these guys :)

It was very interresting. OM-wise, Moose and Jim seem to have
different preferences focal-length wise. Moose being a tele-guy and
Jim being into wides, I tried to listen and learn.

A lot of other topics were covered, and I had a great time relaxing
after a tuff week with 18h+ workdays here in San Francisco. No better
way to clear your mind from than to hang out with these guys (and
girl) and learn about Olympus stuff. I hope to be back in the bay
area again soon, and that I then will be able to attend another ZA
meeting. I also hope by then to be able to meet some of those Bay
Area zuikoholics, who were unavailable this time around.

A BIG THANKS to you guys for taking a sunday afternoon out of your
schedule to hang out with me.

--thomas

On Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:31:37 -0800
Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steam Trains are at the intersection of Grizzly Peak and Lomas
> Contadas.
>
>  From Hayward, I would take 580 N., 13 N., 24 East, off on Fish
>  Ranch
> Road immediately after going through right bore of Caldecott Tunnel
> in right lane. At the top of Fish Ranch, turn right on Grizzly
> Peak. The next cross street after some winding and great views is
> Lomas Contadas and that's where the trains are.
>
> My cell phone is 510-368-6498
>
> Jim Brokaw wrote:
>

> >I plan on hooking up with Mike Butler at about 9:30 at a small
> >camera show at Hayward Centennial Hall... then I hope Mike
> >actually knows how to find the Tilden Park Steam Train exhibit
> ><g>. I got a map from the website, and I will be there... with a
> >bag of camera stuff over my shoulder. I spoke with Thomas this
> >evening (~10PM 3-22) and he said he spent all day driving in the
> >Sierra, but he will be there tomorrow... I hope he can find the
> >place OK.
> >

> >Anyone who wants to check out the camera show, its very small but
> >might have some Oly stuff, though not a lot typically.
> >
> >My cell # to get in touch is (408) 206-6788 in case anyone needs a
> >contact.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering