Re: [OM] Best power for looking at slides?

Subject: Re: [OM] Best power for looking at slides?
From: Donald Shedrick <shedridc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 15:50:55 -0800 (PST)
Well, you got my curiosity, so I did a comparison of my 50mm 1.8 vs
my Edmund wide field 6x loupe.  The magnification of the 50mm is
slightly less, and you have to struggle to just barely see the whole
field of the width of the slide.  The field of view is greatest when
looking backwards (camera end at your eye). The sharpness at the
edges with the 50mm is quite poor, and even in the center the
sharpness is noticeably less than the Edmund loupe.  The 50mm is
slightly dimmer as well.  With no base to rest on the slide, keeping
the lens at the right distance and flat orientation for best focus is
difficult.
As for the 90mm macro, I do not have this lens, but based on trying a
Vivitar 70 - 150 with macro the performance will be virtually useless
and actually less magnification than the 50mm.

=====