[OM]Spares and Accessories in the UK

Subject: [OM]Spares and Accessories in the UK
From: julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:49:47 +0000 (GMT)
Just rang Olympus UK to order some spares. Mentioned OM. "Sorry, we don't do
spares for OM any more, it's discontinued". I pointed out 1 that some OM is
available new still. 2 that they promised 10 years parts availability. got a
very paranoid questioning about who was daring to sell OM in the UK, and an
admission that Luton Cameras (who are excellent independents) were the place to
contact, implying that they had taken on spares supply in some kind of official
capacity. The last statement was the clincher - "If they don't have it then
you'll have to look around for it"
Spoke to Luton Cameras. they know nothing about this, and said that they were
ordering spares from Olympus UK, as were several other repair shops who had
taken on retailing of spare parts when Oly UK decided they weren't interested
some years ago. Very confusing, but I am getting to be less than confident
about the long term position. there was no indication from Oly that they would
order spares they didn't have.

On a related note, one of the retailers I do a fair bit of business with has
told me that Oly are no longer importing ANY accessories into the UK. He is
having to go to Hamburg or further to buy items which are still "officially"
available.

Julian

Julian