Re: [OM] How to hot shoe supports back on?

Subject: Re: [OM] How to hot shoe supports back on?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:09:28 +1200
Lama wrote

> Now there's an idea I never could fathom.  Why would you put grease so close
> all
> that glass?  To lubricate the interface because it takes too darned much
> effort
> to dismount the lens?  To save the stainless steel mount from rusting?  What?
>
> Lama

As far as I can tell the purpose is to reduce the often severe abrasion and
wear of the mating surfaces on both lenses and the camera flange. When
there is frequent changing of lenses, it doesn't take many months of use for
the chromium plating to wear off and the brass to show. And after that I
suppose it is all a downhill road since brass is I think softer than chromium.

I see no danger in this grease getting anywhere near the lens glass. For a
start, it is low melting point as far as I can see, so it will stay put. I'm
more
concerned in the grease maybe trapping sand and grit.

The mounts are not stainless steel as far as I know. Stainless steel has one
great property in that it work-hardens. In other words, rub it, and the rubbed
surface gets harder. But it is quite difficult to machine stainless steel.

Brian