Re: [OM]Spares and Accessories in the UK

Subject: Re: [OM]Spares and Accessories in the UK
From: "Gareth.J.Martin" <g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 07:59:33 +0000
Does anyone have the e-mail or URL for Luton Cameras? Its just I was going to get my OM-1n converted to accept the new PX-625 cells (or get one of the cell adaptors, which I have forgot what they are called!) and they were recommended to me. There's a branch in Bristol but I haven't got time to go there at the moment so wouldn't mind being lazy and e-mailing them. Thanks.

All the best,
Gareth.

julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Just rang Olympus UK to order some spares. Mentioned OM. "Sorry, we don't do spares for OM any
more, it's discontinued". I pointed out 1 that some OM is available new still. 2 that they
promised 10 years parts availability. got a very paranoid questioning about who was daring to sell
OM in the UK, and an admission that Luton Cameras (who are excellent independents) were the place
to contact, implying that they had taken on spares supply in some kind of official capacity. The
last statement was the clincher - "If they don't have it then you'll have to look around for
it"
Spoke to Luton Cameras. they know nothing about this, and said that they were
ordering spares from Olympus UK, as were several other repair shops who had
taken on retailing of spare parts when Oly UK decided they weren't interested
some years ago. Very confusing, but I am getting to be less than confident
about the long term position. there was no indication from Oly that they would
order spares they didn't have.

On a related note, one of the retailers I do a fair bit of business with has told me that
Oly are no longer importing ANY accessories into the UK. He is having to go to Hamburg or
further to buy items which are still "officially" available.

Julian

Julian

--

Gareth.J.Martin

Research Postgraduate
School of Geographical Sciences
University of Bristol
University Road
Bristol BS8 1SS

g.j.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
attackwarningred@xxxxxxxxxxx
eclipsing.binary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

NE NLCOG - The amateur NLC observing group:
http://freespace.virgin.net/eclipsing.binary

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible."

Arthur C. Clarke's Second Law.

"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."

Arthur C. Clarke