Re: [OM] About the new toys, Book II

Subject: Re: [OM] About the new toys, Book II
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 18:14:03 +0100
Schnooz,

Thanks. I'll look at these things - from a first glance they look
interresting. However they also seem to will require some
readjustment of habits by me. My darkroom stuff thus far goes roughly
(in 100 0ark): place negative in enlarger, look carefully, meter
light and dark areas as my intuition tells me, scratch beard a
little, set timer, expose. On occation, something satisfying results
:) - but I do over-/under-shoot exposure from time to time. (I do
seem to get the grade "right" fairly consistently, though).

I'll look around - maybe ask my local camera pusher if he can lend me
one for trying out. I guess it's dificult to know if it's "for me"
without trying, and I think it is too much of an investment unless I
am sure that it will suit my working habits. E.g., while I recognize
the qualities of the OM4 meetering system, I find that my way of
working suits the OM2s/p (or Pentax MZ-S) single spot meetering
system much better.

If my camera pusher is not in the mood, then you better prepare your
guest darkroom (hey, you have such - right?) next time I am in your
neck of the woods :)

Thanks for the info,

--thomas

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 05:24:50 -0800 (PST)
AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> T.Clausen wrote:
> >Ahmm, I lost track of most of this thread, however seeing as I
> >live a large fraction of my life in the darkroom, what are
> >those devices that I can apparently absolutely not live
> >without...?  I've got an old (dark room) meeter, and trained
> eyes. Do I need more? :)
>
> Existing meter?  Trained eyes?  Well, let me draw a comparison
> in this fashion:  What you are currently using is the equivelent
> to an OM-1.  This meter and timer equipment is the equivelent of
> an OM-4(Ti).
>
> If you are perfectly content with the metering system of the
> OM-1, you'll be fine with your existing setup.  But if you
> happen to use and like the multi-spot metering system of the
> OM-4(Ti) then this will fit like a glove.  The simularities are
> uncanny.
>
> There is no substitute for raw experience.  Many people can
> eyeball a negative and get a good print without ever firing off
> a test print in anger.  I'm not one of those.
>
> Whether you go for the meter or not, the StopClock Professional
> really is the ultimate timer.  Likewise, if you don't for the
> timer, the meter really is a pretty slick device.  Then they
> also have a combo unit that combines the meter with a simplified
> timer.
>
> Details can be found at:
> RH Designs
> www.rhdesigns.co.uk