Re: [OM] Standard lens?

Subject: Re: [OM] Standard lens?
From: "Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu" <lamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 22:43:24 -0500
Cc: <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>
Hi Rob,

The 50mm f/1.8 is described as a "standard" focal length.  That means it
delivers on film about what your eye/brain gathers from a
scene at a quick glance.

There are a few reasons one might swap one standard  focal length lens for
another.  If you make lots of "available light" pictures
with your present lens wide open and you really need a slightly faster shutter
speed.  Know this: the difference between using the
1.8 wide open and using the 1.4 wide open is *less* than one f-stop.  I don't
have the exact value in front of me but if your
presently shooting at 1/125 at f/1.8, you would be able to shoot at about
1/200th at f/1.4.  If this is an important difference to
you, then it makes sense to pursue a lens with a larger maximum aperture.  (A
"faster" lens.)  The 1.4 may be less sharp wide open
than the 1.8 is.  Testing is the only way to find out.

Another reason to swap one standard lens for another would be if you're
dissatisfied with the lens you currently use.  If you focus
carefully, use a 1/125th or faster, and gently squeeze off the shutter release,
yet find unsharp pictures, it might be the lens.
It's generally agreed that the 50mm /1.8 that literally says "Made In Japan" on
the front ring tests the best.  (Not counting the
rare and hideously expensive 50mm f2 macro!)  Note carefully Rob, that the 1.4
and 1.2 lenses, though more expensive, don't always
give you sharper pictures.

A third reason to swap your lens is because the faster lenses look more
impressive on the shelf.  It's a "collector thing".  Big
glass is cool to look at.

A fourth reason to buy another 50, would be that you want to focus more closely
using the 50mm focal length.  The Zuiko 50mm f/3.5
Macro would let you get closer although I find the 90mm focal length more
usable for table-top photography.  (Again, the 50mm f/2
macro is way expensive.)

That said, I'd suggest that your second lens could be a moderate telephoto or
moderate wide angle instead of a different "standard".
Either will give your pictures a different perspective that you've been getting
up until now.

A telephoto has a focal length greater than 50mm for OMs and it brings you
"closer" to the subject, as if you're looking through
binoculars.

Wide angles have a focal length less than 50mm.  They show you more of the
scene than the 50mm.

Is this the kind of info you were looking for?

Lama

From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxx>