Re: [OM] Retro and looking in through the Digital Window

Subject: Re: [OM] Retro and looking in through the Digital Window
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 00:08:31 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, AG Schnozz wrote:

> My biggest problem with digital remains one key issue:  Filing.
> My filing system for the slides and film is wonderful.  I can
> find ANY slide (provided I returned it to the sleeves) in less
> than a minute.  Only exceptions are the mega-files of flowers,
> lighthouses, waterfalls and sunsets.  Those I have to wave
> through 20-30 sheets at three seconds each.  All of my slides
> are categorized (and many of the BW negs are too) together.  If
> they were burned on CDs it would take me forever to load, look
> and find pictures spanning years.  This dilemma isn't fatal, but
> is bothersome.  I know how successful I've been with digitized
> pictures so far.

By far the best tool I've seen for organising digital images is IMatch
(see http://www.photools.com).  The system can easily handle databases
with 100,000+ images and does a wonderful job of handling off-line media
such as CD's and DVD's.  It can cache thumbnails and image information from
all the off-line media and allow you to perform searches on it.  You can
even get it to build contact sheets for your media if you prefer to work
with a printed index.  I make low resolution scans of all my slides and
negatives and import them into IMatch to act as the master index to my
library.  I can usually locate a specific shot within seconds using it.
                                -mark