Re: [OM] Re: Retro and looking in through the Digital Window

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Retro and looking in through the Digital Window
From: Per Ohstrom <poo@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:46:05 +0200
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 20:29 2003-04-02, Jan Steinman wrote:
To folks who would rather be in the darkroom than in front of a computer, this may sound tedious, but to me, this was just as joyful a work as I'm sure organizing your physical artifacts was for you.

Either approach requires a combination of interest and discipline. IMHO, the digital version ultimately ends up with better access, though.

Good points, Jan!

As a computer engineer, or whatever the title would be in English, I am totally fed up with sitting in front of a computer at my spare time, so I spend that time most willingly in the darkroom instead. I certainly like working with real objects in contrast to the digital data I have to deal with in my everyday work. So I think it all adds up to what you really want to do. And I do NOT want to go digital when I don't have to.

When it comes to the archiving of the actual data of a certain photograph I use an ordinary (not digital) memo recorder (Sanyo, with a micro-cassette, a physical tape cassette, that is, anyone heard of those?) to enter the data at the moment of exposure. (I have to confess, though, that not all exposures are committed to the archives in this theoretically excellent way. Sometimes it seems a bit awkward to present a small tape recorder and talk into it after making an exposure that might seem a bit fishy in the first place. But I'm working on it.) The automatic data recording system of digicams (and some of the newer analogue cameras) is of course a lot easier and more reliable.

So, whenever you are working with the technique that appeals to you, you'll feel fine. But if you feel forced to adopt a technique that you don't enjoy, that's sour grapes.

My work at the Swedish Heritage Board involves solving the issues of retrieving pictures from two centuries, and I do appreciate the value of well-defined databases and digitized pictures to this end. At the same time, though, I personally prefer to note my own exposures and developing data in a book (made of paper and with a pen) from the notes made on the memo machine.

So, really, do what you want to do, and not what someone else tries to convince you is the best. You might find it's not the best for you.

Hope to remain or become the friend of everyone on this wonderful list!
-poo