Re: [OM] Olympus exposure records, what way do you do it?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus exposure records, what way do you do it?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 16:03:25 -0800
Unless you use one of those palm pilots or whatever they call them I can't imagine how you'd be able to record your exposure data except with pen/paper. Maybe with a photographic memory, but most of us don't have one of those.

Look around stationery stores and see if you can't find some reporter's notebooks--they're slim and fit easily in a pocket. I use a smallish metal clipboard that folds over on itself and then clasps shut--this holds my pen conveniently inside, not to get lost, always ready for use. Works for me.

Without notes you're unable to provide anyone with anything but the image, which might or might not be pleasing to look at but in and of itself pretty much worthless as an instructional tool--to include both second parties and the photographer himself. This is what we find on almost all photo websites, with the images in question presumably presented only to receive applause. Again, in this case no one learns nothing (to use a double negative), but then I'd guess that's just about what these people are interested in learning. An old story.

So, keep your own notes and try to learn from them. Avoid spending much time on photo websites which are populated with photographers who are not equally conscientious with their presentations. (Good luck finding these "good" photo sites--they are few and far between.)

Tris