Re: [OM] ? Gitzo Explorer and Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] ? Gitzo Explorer and Tamron 80-200mm f2.8 ?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2003 16:20:51 -0800

Does anyone on the list have any experience with the Gitzo Explorer tripods? I'm current using a Bogen 3021 with a 3030 head and really want something which will let me get on or near the ground for macro work with bugs, flowers and other stuff which lives at ground level. These tripods seem to reasonable solutions. Another thing I might throw into the mix is that I also use a Tamron 400mm f4 and it would be nice to have something which might handle this a bit better. Yes, I know I want to have everything in one tripod, but these guys are not inexpensive and I really don't want to own 4 tripods. Any other good solutions that might handle the ground level/big telephoto issue would be appreciated.

For the kind of work you describe the best bet from Gitzo is the G 2228. I've used mine extensively for some two years now with no complaints. It is light, rigid and can be configured into any position imaginable. (As it turns out most of my work is on the level, but the point is this tripod was designed for all comers, especially those on the move in the field with their gear.)

I'm informed (not sure if it's reliable or not) that Gitzo no longer offers a lifetime warranty for their tripods. Mine came with one of those. I bought it from http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/, within my experience an _extremely_ reliable outlet with _outstanding_ support over the phone. It's a little bit like what Abercrombie & Fitch was back in the day, when that company's sales people all had hands-on knowledge of what they sold.

White, by the way, has very competitive pricing.

Tris