Re: [OM] Photo Printer

Subject: Re: [OM] Photo Printer
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 18:58:22 -0800
> .....as I still haven't moved on the issue of monitor calibration--still need
> to get a spyder.....
>
> .....Is it necessary to buy independent profile-building software
> (e.g., Monaco, ProfileMaker) in    order to create the color profiles used
> with Photoshop?.....

Adobe Gamma that ships with Photoshop and PS Elements does a pretty good
job of calibration I've found. Gets my prints close enough that room
lighting and the media (i.e. paper and reflections) makes more of a
difference than the monitor. At that point i fall back on my old
seat-of-the-pants by eye method of calibration. If the print is a little
too blue for example then make the screen shot a little too yellow. I
cut an 8x11 into fourths and use those for test prints to save ink. Now
after setting up a monitor profile with Adobe Gamma i don't need to make
more than a couple test prints. Before I was tearing my hair out and
still not happy with the result plus burning up the ink. If I get around
to it I may make a few more profiles based on day/night use or different
color temperature settings of the monitor. This way i can set up the
monitor the way my wife likes it and easily switch when i want to print.
This is worth a try before spending the big bucks on a spyder and
profile software. Also check out the profiles Epson has for their paper
if you use it. The Archival Matte is good and extremely long lasting.

I might add that after getting suggestions from the list i checked a few
books out of the library and did some reading. One of the best for me
was a book called "Mastering Digital Printing" by Harald Johnson. I
definitely would read this book before spending money on profiles. It
has a very good section on setting up and using profiles of all types.
And thanks to whomever suggested the book to me, perhaps Jan Steinman
(whose work is featured in the book). Lucky for me that it is one of the
few books in our local library on the subject as I'll be checking it out
again after I give others a chance at it for a while :>) I kinda hogged
it over the last couple of months.

Mike