Re: [OM] Re: [OM; now *way* OT] So digital can do it all?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: [OM; now *way* OT] So digital can do it all?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:44:00 -0800
Is this a contest? Can I play? This is reverse guy-brag where the guy who had the oldest, least competent thingee wins, right?
Ok, my Heathkit XT close isn't even in the running.
Apple II+ that I bought already used in 1981 isn't close either.
8080 S100 bus is passe, I"ll bet.

How about a computer with no solid state electronic parts, 0 bytes of memory, not even cassette tape storage. No this isn't the old trick where I pull out my dad's 1930s, but still functional (those batteries last forever :-) ), K&E Log Log Duplex. My Post versalog is still around here somewhere too. I wonder what that'll fetch on the 'Bay?

I built a Heathkit analog computer about 1965. One vacuum tube for each channel (or whatever they were called). Not even a circuit board, all point to point wiring. Output device was an oscilloscope. It could actually do some interesting stuff with things like spring oscillations, bouncing balls, etc. that desktops wouldn't be able to do for many years. Don't ask me for details, 'cause I don't remember.

Moose

Garth Wood wrote:

I was building banks of J-K flip-flops (sort of like an Altair 8800 on a starvation diet) and linking 'em together in various configurations back in the mid-70's. Did Boolean algebra with 256 bytes of RAM. No input or output devices other than the toggle switches, jumper cables and blinkenlights. When I saw my first real personal computer (an Apple Lisa in '83 or so) I was blown away. I continue to marvel at the fact that I own a wristwatch that has more computing power than the onboard systems that sent the Apollo missions to the moon, and that you can buy (and then throw away) a greeting card with a chip inside that has more digital processing power than existed on the entire planet prior to 1952.