[OM] B-300 in the mail !

Subject: [OM] B-300 in the mail !
From: petertje@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:00:48 +0100
Hurray !

The great day is here !

It feels great to receive my first eBay purchase, from a nice lady in Germany,
carefully wrapped in its soft pouch, bubble plastic, lots of crumbled
newspapers and some styrofoam to finish it off, in a box shouting "Marmalade,
12 glass containers".

The condition of the B-300 is quite nice, but I'll have to clean both the front
and the rear lens.  The hoods aren't very tight at all: the front hood drops
off really easily.  I guess I'll have to carry it around in its soft pouch,
where it's far less accessible, but where the hoods stay on.

Measuring quickly on a white wall (light from the left, centering to average
out to compensate for the smaller region in the image with the B-300), I get
about 2/3 stop light fall off with the B-300.  That means my 90mm/2 turns into
what is probably a 153mm/2.5.  Not bad !  There's quite a bit of vignetting
visible in the viewfinder, particularly in the top corners.  I'm curious how
that will turn out on the actual picture.  It's very noticable looking at my
white wall, but I have to specifically look for it when looking at a regular
scene.

Just looking through the viewfinder, it's very hard to tell the quality of the
lens.  The 2-13 matte gives a certain quality to the bokeh that makes it hard
to predict what it will be like on the actual picture.  The next few weeks will
give me answers !

In any case, if this combination should disappoint me (which I doubt except
possibly for the vignetting), I can always buy a 135mm/2.8 and use it on that
lens.  The 135mm would replace the 90mm+B-300, and because it's a longer lens,
I expect it to vignet less with the B-300 added.

Did I already mention I was considering a 21mm or 18mm in addition to the
28mm/2.8 I already have ?  This list is killing me...

Now, does anybody have good hints on cleaning the lens ?  I guess I'll just go
for a very soft cloth, because it's the rear element of an additional lens (not
the main lens) ?

Peter.