[OM] Re: So digital can do it all?

Subject: [OM] Re: So digital can do it all?
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 13:46:30 -0800
>From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 10:47 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:
>
>> Capice. Although the E-20 by no means feels like plastic (it is rather
>> like the single-digit OM in construction), it is a bit of a brute to
>> haul around. I'm anxiously awaiting 4/3rds to get quality digicams
> > back to OM proportions.
>
>The only thing I might question is your statement about the 4/3 being
>smaller than the E-20.  Considering that the 4/3 chip is more than
>twice the length and width of the 2/3 chip in the E-20 I would expect
>no size reduction at all and perhaps some growth. Lenses to cover
>sensor with a 22 mm diagonal instead of 11 mm are not going to be
>appreciably smaller even if Olympus did not care anything about
>compactness in design of the E-20, and I think they did.

I'm going by the reviews I read on dpreview.com, in which the reviewer said the
camera "felt" lighter than the E-20.

Also, I believe the lens is one stop slower, which should theoretically make up
for the sensor being twice as big.

And I'm REALLY hoping for some lovely prime lenses, which should be about half
the bulk and heft of 35mm lenses with similar angle of view.

Anyway, I can dream, can't I? :-)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>