Re: [OM] [OT] Looking for AG Schnozz

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Looking for AG Schnozz
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 15:52:33 -0800 (PST)
Boris, I am answering this onlist too, since it probably is of
interest to others.

The S9000 has been a fabulous printer.  It is very fast,
accurate (I haven't needed to really mess around with a profile
yet), and reliable.

The clogging problem does happen on occasion, but I believe that
it's most likely due to dust or fibers picked up from the paper.
 Whenever it happens, I just select the light cleaning function
from the driver and in a few seconds it's rearing to go again.
I've never had to repeat it or go to the heavy cleaning.

The Canon Glossy Photo Paper is junk.  Don't even bother with
it.  Ucky surface and absolutely no archival quality to it.  The
Photo Paper Pro is amazing stuff, but does eventually outgas as
it uses a microceramic surface.  I'm now using Ilford Galerie
Classic paper.

The biggest downfall of the Canon is the yellow ink.  It does
fade.  Strange thing is that incandesent light affects it far
more than either florescent or direct sunlight.  I've got some
tests going right now on the Ilford papers, including one print
secured outdoors on my deck.  So far, after two weeks of rain
and shine it doesn't look any different than the other half
tucked away safely in a drawer.  Another print is hanging in the
bathroom where the previous copy of the same picture (on Canon
glossy photo paper)faded after two weeks.  A test print on the
Photo Paper Pro has now spent 8 months in direct sunlight with
only the yellow fading.

I've been chatting with Canon techies about the yellow and it is
something that they are painfully aware of.

Would I recommend the Canon over the Epson?  Yes and No.  Yes,
for the features, speed, print quality and out-of-box color
profile.  No, for the fading yellow.  Give me a few more weeks
to see what happens with the Galerie Classic.

Ink cartridges are relatively cheep and extremely easy to
install. I had one cartridge empty in the middle of a print.  I
replaced it, closed the cover and it continued on without
missing a beat (or pixel).  No realignment, no fade-out,
nothing.  My biggest problem with the ink cartridges, is that
when using the Ilford Galerie Classic, it uses a TON of ink.
You can almost watch the guages go down.  On the Galerie Pearl
surface, the prints are perfect.  No pixelization, nothing.
Every bit of a chemical print.

>From what I've been reading as far as reliability, clogging,
etc., I'd suggest that the Canon is better than the Epson.  I've
had it sit over a month between color prints and there wasn't
any hint of a clog when I did my first print after the hiatus.

Did I mention the profile?  Out of box, no adjustment necessary.
 I'm sure some anal types will do something, but I haven't felt
the need to with the Photo Paper Pro.  The Ilford Glossy does
require about a -5 Magenta, but that's it.

Those who gripe about the color being "off" have some of the
automatic balancing features turned on.  Turn them off when
doing anything serious.

Speed, oh that speed.  The Canon is the fastest inkjet I've ever
seen.  It goes, in highest resolution, highest quality,
six-color printing what most others do in standard printing
single-color.

AG-Schnozz