Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: VS <VS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 13:50:30 +1000
In the message I received, Albert writes:
Albert,

>I am going to go to the mountains to try to capture a sunrise next
>weekend.  I don't have a tripod, so will be buying one this week, along
>with a ball head.

How far will you have to walk? Any climbing How early? How much space
will you have to set up a tripod once you reach your destination? How
long will be the round trip to the destionation and back to your base?

>Recommendations??

Silk underwear. :-)

>Something on the lighter side.. but not so light that it's not sturdy.

Many here swear on their Velbon 343, I seem to remember. It's small,
light (less than a kilo), sturdy enough in calm weather and on the dirt
cheap side, so you can always get a Gitzo from Robert White and come out
about the same as if you just bought a Gitzo locally. (At least that's
the case here in Sydney).

It's going to be light and small, so to weigh it down, just use your
camera bag and hang it off the tripod.

HTH,

Saso