Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 20:09:18 -0800
Yep, I was thinking about the Velbon, too. I used it a lot at Pt Lobos a couple of weeks ago even in some very stiff winds. I had to put a little weight on the camera to hold everything down, but with the weight it is very stable. If really worried about stability, just don't use the last, thinnest, set of leg extensions and it gets amazingly solid for its weight. Manuvering the trails and rocks there was easy because it is so quick and easy to adjust the legs. My Hakuba CF is a better tripod in overall terms, but much less 'agile' and I would have been frustrated with it in that setting. The ball head that comes with the Velbon 343 is small but will hold the Tamron 60-300 without slipping.

Moose

VS wrote:

Many here swear on their Velbon 343, I seem to remember.