[OM] OT - to lie or to lay

Subject: [OM] OT - to lie or to lay
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 10:34:37 +0100
Dear All

Every now and then I feel this almost evangelical desire to help those in need. This, latest, urge was started by reading a New York Observer quotation (in an article about a tractor near the Capital) in which the author seemed not to know the pluperfect tense ("beyond" the perfect tense if you like). But that is a relatively new "bee in my bonnet" and I plan to deal with an older one now. You need no urging to move on if boredom or resentment has already set in.

I apologise for the OT post, but even if our English-speaking members are uninterested, the clever people who can converse and correspond in English as a second language might benefit...

To lie (intransitive verb - takes no direct object); e.g. "I lie on my bed." or "I lie about my age."

Present tense: "I lie on my bed."; Past: "I lay ...."; Perfect: "I have lain...."; Pluperfect: "I had lain...."

To lay (transitive verb - takes a direct object); e.g. "I lay the gun down." or "I lay the table."

Present tense: "I lay a table."; Past: "I laid ...."; Perfect: "I have laid ...."; Pluperfect: "I had laid ...."

In case anyone is still reading, the quote in the NY Observer was: "No one would have believed it if it did not happen ..." since you have already gone the perfect tense with the conditional clause at the start of the sentence, convention has it that the second, dependent clause go into the pluperfect: "No one would have believed it if it had not happened..." Although American convention has diverged from the English, I remain convinced the original makes more sense in terms of consistency of time in written or spoken language - especially in reported speech.

If you have reached this far... thank you for "listening" ;-)

Chris

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.