Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 BIN $875

Subject: Re: [OM] 35-80mm f2.8 BIN $875
From: iwert <zuiko@xxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 12:38:53 +0200

> I am tempted, but... how's this better than the 35/2 + 85/2 kit, or a 40/2
> + 85/2 kit? (I know, I know, it's a zoom... but it's heavier and you lose 1
> stop?)

I recently bought one for 690$, and I really like it. It is very nice, but
heavy. However I use the 40f2 as my standard lens, I have the feeling when I
really go out for making pictures I like this zoom. I don't have to change
lenses, so don't loose opportunities whenever a nice situation appears.
Otoh, I always have my camera with me, and then it is the 40f2 which is my
most trusty companion. I had a 35-70 3.5 4.5 as well, but this one simply is
to small and dificult to handle for me. f2.8 for a zoom is wonderfull.
Be warned however that if you like straight lines, this one is not for you,
barrel-distortion at the 35 end and pincushion at the 80 end... It really is
most usefull for people - street shots. And it almost is a macro, with close
focussing to 60cm...
BTW, has anybody a DOF table for this lens (35-80f2.8)?

Iwert.