Re: [OM] OT - to lie or to lay

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - to lie or to lay
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 18:03:34 +0100

On Saturday, Apr 5, 2003, at 15:01 Europe/London, Joel Wilcox wrote:

This reminds me of the story about the guy who asked the Boston taxi driver "Do you know where I might get scrod?" to which the driver responded, "Yes, but I've never been asked that in the future conditional mood." (Sorry, that doesn't make me feel very > evangelical.)

Ho, ho!! That made me smile widely :>)
Yes, Chris, this sort of usage is very poor and it's on the increase. In the papers some of it is prevailing because reporters now tend to quote absolutely verbatim rather than correct the grammar silently for print. Unfortunately, it would be easier for us just to start another war ...

Joel W.

No comment - is my wisest reply...

Chris
<|_:-)_|>