Re: [OM] OM-4 Woes

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4 Woes
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 12:55:40 -0500
At 09:01 AM 4/5/03 -0800, Winsor Crosby wrote:

Not sure why people are so averse to spending a little bit to keep their classic equipment going.

Guess it depends on what you call a spending a little. Putting another $400 (see below) into these two old bodies isn't what I'd call a small investment considering their real worth.

I also don't understand the logic that one would dump something with a minor malfunction to buy something similar, probably with a malfunction, from someone else.

Me neither.  :-)

Clint or John could certainly do a CLA for much less than what you have been quoted and they may end up good as new.

The quote was from John. He says he won't look at an OM-4 for less than his CLA price of $179 and by the time you add shipping both ways you're close to the $200 I used in "round" numbers.

There is an old used car buyer's saying, "The cheapest car is the one you all ready own." I think that applies to more than just cars.

It's about a lot more than being cheap though. If that was the case I'd still be driving the first car I bought and using that really cheap twin lens "2 1/4" from the late 50's. :-) One of the bodies in question was CLA'ed by John about two years ago and was giving bad meter readings within less than 18 months. I don't think that's a reflection of John's work but it probably is a sign of the potential problems with the aging electronics in the bodies.

Anyway, OM's have been my primary SLR system for the past 25 years but I know that at some point I'm going to spring for a new system that includes autofocus lenses and both film based and digital bodies. As I said before, now is probably the time to cut my losses. Is that the call of a Canon EOS-3 that I hear in the background? :-)

Later,
Johnny