Re: [OM] [OT] Crazy Leica prices

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Crazy Leica prices
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 18:14:53 -0800
on 4/5/03 7:00 AM, Skip Williams at om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> For all of you who thought that a $600 100/2.8 was a bit nutty, take a look at
> this puppy.  $41.7k for a Leica MP + Leicavit MP + 50/2 Summicron.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30030&item=2920168849
>
> FYI, it's an MP, which was a "professional" version of the M2 made expressly
> for photojournalists in 1956-7.  They all came in black-paint finish and were
> equipped with the Leicavit MP, the mechanical rapid-advance add-on on the
> bottom of the camera (it's a trigger winder, no batteries,  one pull of a
> downward-protruding (but retractable) lever wound the film, much more
> dependable than a motor, which were huge at that time in history). This camera
> also has the correct, black-paint 50/2 Summicron.  MP's in very good shape
> typically sell for $15-25,000, plus $3-4,000 for the Leicavit, plus 2-3,000
> for the 50/2.  I don't know why that one went for so much.
>
> Crazy, no?
>
> Skip

What's interesting is that Leica just introduced a new "MP" model, which is
an all mechanical version of the M7... supposedly manufactured with extra
attention to capturing the silky feel and finesse of the old early M's
before the got all 'plasticky and cheapie'. This new body sells for ~$2500,
and is apparently selling quite well... makes the $1600 OM-3Ti's seem almost
inexpensive by comparison.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...