Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: W Shumaker <omlist@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:29:17 -0400
At 06:15 PM 4/4/2003, Skip wrote:
>I had a Gitzo offset ballhead and it drove me crazy compared to one like the
>Arca-Swiss, which is centered over a large ball.  I sold that head.

Ever pinch your fingers with the offset ballhead? My sympathies
exactly.

I guess I should throw my $0.02 for the Ultimate ballhead, which
you can now order through B&H. For the weight, there is probably
none better. It is amazing how much more likely you are to schlepp
a tripod if it is light weight. Here is a picture of my ballhead setup for
panoramic stitching. This ballhead is less restricted in it's range of
motion than regular ballheads. I also have a arcaswiss B-1, but the
weight keeps me from using it much.

http://www.zuik.net/om/P2100422web.jpg

What I want is a way to level the tripod for panoramic stitching. So I
bought a bogen head leveler. There was a lot of excess metal, so
you can see I took the hack saw and drill press to it to remove as
much weight as possible. http://www.zuik.net/om/P2100396web.jpg
It is still a bit heavy. Any suggestions for ballhead leveling?

I guess the next topic should be quick release plates and systems...

Wayne