Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Need Tripod and Head advice
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:01:17 -0700

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 04:41 AM, Brian Swale wrote:

This is why John Shaw in his Nature photography books recommends just a
very few tripods, all with the feature in common that you can splay the legs wide and get the tripod head very close to soil level, camera right way up.

I have the Olympus macro stage and rack, but after reading what Shaw, John Johns and others (including Gary Reese) have said about vibration, I try to get close to the subject with only the bare tripod+head if I can. Likewise, any other form of extension that takes an SLR with flapping mirror, shutter and aperture shut-down mechanism away from the centre of stability ( the tripod apex) is likely to reduce vibration control. In my opinion. Lens shutters as in
Koni-Omega etc are a different matter entirely.

Brian

I used to be of that school of thought and still am, at least if not too extreme. I started changing my mind when I was shopping and looked at a splayed out Benbo and saw how springy and unstable it was near the ground with the legs splayed wide. It took a while before the head slap came and I realized that any splayed tripod is basically not rigid because they work because of forces along the legs and gravity is working at almost right angles across the legs. I try not to use the extension column either because of the spring pendulum effect, but it may be the more rigid combined with a well deployed tripod.

There are never hard and fast rules. :-)

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA