[OM] Re: Need Tripod and Head advice

Subject: [OM] Re: Need Tripod and Head advice
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 10:25:13 -0700
>From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>The worst design feature is reversable center columns for ground
>level shooting. Has ANYBODY successfully been able to shoot
>with the camera upside down while hunched in between two of the
>legs while trying to keep the third leg from getting in the
>picture?

Yea, did it all the time until my Gitzo broke. To fight vibration, I loop a
bungie cord between the camera and one of the legs. It doesn't take a lot of
tension to stop the vibration.

Also, spaly the legs out as much as possible, to keep the center column
extension short. Most reasonable tripods have at least three leg positions.

Finally, you've got to get down there with your subject! If you love macro, you
have to be willing to get some dirt on your belly. The right-angle finder
helps, too.

A nice side-benefit of this configuration is that the tripod forms a nice
support for a bed-sheet tent, to reduce contrast and block wind.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>